International Registration Plan (IRP)

IRP, commonly referred to as Apportion, is a reciprocal agreement for registering vehicles that travel in two or more member jurisdictions. Under the Plan, the interstate operator is required to file an application with their base jurisdiction, which issues a base apportioned license plate and cab card. The base plate and cab card are the only identification or credentials required to qualify the carrier to operate interstate or intrastate in IRP member jurisdictions. The cab card will list those jurisdictions in which the operator has qualified and paid registration fees.

The percentage of miles traveled in each jurisdiction is the basis of IRP registration fees. The number of miles traveled in each jurisdiction for which the registrant apportioned determines the total fees due for an apportioned license plate and cab card. In most cases, the declared gross vehicle weight of the truck or combined gross vehicle weight of the power unit and any trailer determines the fees.

“Apportionable Vehicle” means any vehicle (except trailers, recreational vehicles, vehicles displaying restricted plates, city pick up and delivery vehicles, buses used in transportation of chartered parties, and government-owned vehicles) used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions that allocate or proportionally register vehicles, and is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and is:

  • A power unit having two axles and a GVW or registered GVW over 26,000 lbs. -or-
  • A power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight -or-
  • Used in combination, when the weight of such combination is over 26,000 lbs. GVW

Both Alaska and Hawaii are exempt from IRP. Since IRP plates must be received from your base state, if that state is Hawaii, you can register in another state in which you will be operating.

What You Need to Apply For IRP Registration?
To apply for an IRP Registration, you must provide documents, proofs, and forms listed in IRP-16-Application Booklet for the International Registration Plan for Acceptable Proofs for an Established Place of Business.

Proof of Ownership
Read the Proof of Ownership page at the DMV web site to make sure you have acceptable proof of ownership to apply for a title certificate.

When the owner is different from IRP Registrant, the owner must complete one of the following: "Registration Authorization" section on form IRP-6 (Schedule A & C), or form MV-95 (Registration Authorization), or the "If the Registrant Is Not The Owner" section on the front of form MV-82 (Registration and Title Application)

Proof of State Automobile Liability Insurance (this will be for whatever state you register in, since Hawaii is exempt)

Proof of Identity
Federal law requires proof of payment of the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) when you register a vehicle that has a combination or loaded gross vehicle weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Proof of HVUT payment is not required for an original IRP registration application if the vehicle is registered within 60 days of the purchase date shown on the bill of sale. You must send a copy of the bill of sale with your application to receive this exemption.

Fees for IRP Apportioned Registration
The DMV International Registration Bureau (IRB) cannot calculate IRP registration fees until an application is processed. The fees depend on the methods used by each jurisdiction where the vehicle will operate.

IRP Renewals
Approximately 90 days before an IRP registration expires, you will normally receive an IRP Renewal Report by mail from the state which you are registered in. Follow the instructions included in form IRP-34 (IRP Renewal Packet) enclosed with your renewal. You must return the renewal application to the IRB at least 45 days before the expiration date of the current registration. Allow 3 weeks to receive your renewal bill and a list of additional information required.

When you receive your bill, send your payment and any additional required items quickly. The IRB must receive your payment at least 20 days before the expiration date of your current registration to make sure that you receive your renewed documents before the current registration expires.

For complete details about obtaining, renewing, or updating your IR, see the Department of Motor Vehicles website for the state you wish to apply in.

IFTA Reporting Online