Interested in opening your own transportation business? Obtain your own authority to participate in interstate commerce, which is defined as trade, traffic, or transportation involving either the vehicle, its passengers, or cargo crossing a state boundary. Intrastate commerce is defined as trade, traffic, or transportation within a single state. If your operations include interstate commerce, you must comply with the applicable federal safety regulations and operating authority rules, in addition to state and local requirements.

If you operate exclusively in intrastate commerce, you must comply with applicable state and local regulations. The only applicable federal regulations are: a commercial driver's license, controlled substances and alcohol testing for all persons possessing a CDL, and minimum levels of financial responsibility for the intrastate transportation of certain quantities of hazardous materials and substances.

Find out what you need to obtain your own Interstate or Intrastate Operating Authority.

Interstate Authority

Also referred to as an "MC","FF" or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Generally, 'for-hire' carriers engaging in interstate commerce are required to have Interstate Authority Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Read More

Intrastate Authority

The Hawaii Public Utility Commission (PUC) issues Certificates of Public Convenience for intrastate transportation of property, household goods, and passengers. Intrastate transportation of property, household goods and passengers

Read More
IFTA Reporting Online