hawaii Temporary Permits

Permits issued in Hawaii are as follows:

One Way Permit — Permits issued for single trip movements are issued for one, one-way round trip movement of oversized or overweight vehicles and objects. These permits will be valid only for the specific date, time, vehicle, and route that is designated in the permit.

Continuous Operation Permit — Continuous operation permits for the movement of oversize and overweight vehicles may be issued for vehicles as long as:

  • The movements consist of specific oversize and overweight vehicles moved under their own power or a designated load to be mounted and moved on a specific vehicle.
  • The movements of the vehicle are made over a specific route or within a restricted area.
  • The movement must be made during the hours specified on the permit.
  • The duration of the permit should not be for more than one year.
  • The width of the vehicle or load is less than 12 feet and the overall length of the vehicle or combination of vehicles is equal to or less than 70 feet. (Agricultural equipment used for normal agricultural operations and used within the geographic area in which it is normally used is exempt from this restriction)

Fuel Permits:

Fuel Permits are not necessary for travel within Hawaii, since Hawaii is not does not participate in the IFTA. For trucks registered in Hawaii that travel in other states and jurisdictions, you must pay quarterly taxes for each state you travel in that participates in the IFTA.

Application for Permits:

A formal request for permits should be made through the department handling permissions to move vehicles on state highways where the vehicles or combination of vehicles' load, size, or weight exceeds legal limitations. An application for a permit to operate such a vehicle can be made on form DOT 4-005 and sent to the

Hawaii Department of Transportation
Oahu District
727 Kakoi Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96819

In addition to the application, the applicant is required to:

  • The movements consist of specific oversize and overweight vehicles moved under their own power or a designated load to be mounted and moved on a specific vehicle.
  • Show that the vehicle or combination of vehicles and load have been reduced to the maximum extent that is reasonably practicable; except when carrying products from the place where they were harvested or stored to the place where they are processed or used.
  • Meet all operating, licensing, and financial responsibility requirements.
  • Attach a county building permit to any building that is to be moved..
  • Submit proof of inspection to an authorized inspection station for the vehicle or combination of vehicles.
  • Submit proof that the person signing the application is authorized to sign on behalf of the person, firm, or corporation when the application is made on behalf of a firm or corporation.
  • Show a certificate of insurance.

If the need arises to transfer or move an oversize or overweight vehicle due to an operational emergency such as a breakdown of existing equipment or weather conditions, the applicant can contact the district engineer to be granted a permit immediately.

Not Eligible for hawaii One-Trip Temporary Registration

  • Manufactured housing
  • hawaii-based charter buses carrying both passengers and property
  • Any laden vehicle, meaning truck, trailer, etc.
  • A fixed load vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle is of the conventional type or the unconventional type
  • Mobile offices, mobile laboratories and mobile bunkhouses (must have full registration or purchase 72/144-hour temporary registration)

Processing Applications:

Every application received is processed as promptly as possible. In reviewing the application, the district engineer will consider:

  • Details of the point of origin and destination.
  • The overall dimensions of the object to be moved.
  • The practicability of reducing the overall dimensions by partially dismantling the object and moving it in sections.
  • The gross weight of the vehicle and load, as well as the weight distribution of the load.
  • The practicality of reducing the gross weight and axle wheel loadings.
  • The capacity of the bridges and structures that the vehicle will be moving over.
  • The method for moving proposed, the type and condition of the moving equipment, the practicability of the move in the proposed manner, as well as any alternate methods of moving.
  • The vertical and horizontal clearances of the vehicles turning paths.
  • The effect of the move on the overall flow of traffic where the move will be taking place.
  • The possibility of any construction operation underway at the time of the proposed move that could possibly interfere with the move and the normal flow of traffic.
  • The possibility of using lesser traveled roads other than state highways.

A permit is issued when:

  • An application has been received.
  • The vehicle or vehicle load has been described thoroughly, including the points of origin and destination, as well as all of the routes of travel, and all have been approved.
  • The proposed move has been cleared to be consistent with traffic safety.

Permit Fees:

  • Single Trip Permit (Less than 1.35 times the allowable load)- $5
  • Continuous Trip Permit (Less than 1.35 times the allowable load)- $10

Payments can be made in the form of cash, money order, check or electronic funds transfer.

Hawaii IFTA


HVUT is Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, an excise tax assessed annually on heavy vehicles operating on public highways at registered gross weights equal to or exceeding 55,000 pounds

Hawaii IFTA


IFTA is the international Fuel Tax Agreement and is a tax collection agreement by and among the 48 contiguous states and the 10 Canadian provinces bordering the US, in which motor fuel use taxation laws uniformly with respect to that agreement.


File your Form 2290 Today and Get your Schedule 1 in Minutes.

Guaranteed Schedule 1 or your money back!