Intrastate Authority

For trucks that operate solely in the state of Hawaii, obtaining operating authority is not required. Motor carriers of property are granted operating authority based on the types of goods they transport and the nature of the services performed. The categories are:

  • Carriers of general commodities
  • Carriers of household goods
  • Carriers of commodities in dump trucks
  • Carriers of specific commodities

Carriers of general commodities:
Motor carriers in this category are authorized to transport all types of commodities in packages, cartons, containers, in bulk, or by other means.

Carriers of household goods:
This category includes motor carriers authorized to engage in the following activities:

  • The transporting of property, not for resale, used in a building.
  • The transporting of furniture, fixtures, equipment, and any other property from any establishment or place of business when they are changing their location.
  • The transportation of articles that require specialized handling and equipment usually employed in moving household goods because of their unusual nature or value.

Carriers of household goods:
This consists of motor carriers that are authorized to transport commodities ordinarily transported in dump trucks, which include, but are not limited to, sand, dirt, gravel, rocks, concrete, and other similar items.

Carriers of specific commodities:
This category includes motor carriers whose authority is limited to transporting commodities specifically identified in the motor carrier’s operating authority. Examples include: armored vehicles, vehicles that carry heavy machinery, etc.

For more information visit:


The Hawaii Public Utility Commission (PUC) issues Certificates of Public Convenience for intrastate transportation of property, household goods, and passengers. Intrastate transportation of property,

Read More

Interstate Authority

Also referred to as an "MC","FF" or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Generally, 'for-hire' carriers engaging in interstate commerce are required to have Interstate Authority Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Read More
IFTA Reporting Online